I've decided that being on a misson is unique enough for Elder Linde that I'd better comment on what I have been able to gather as part of a normal mission.
First of all, missions are not for the faint of heart, even for old worn out people like ourselves. they demand a lot of your attention, time and patience. Things that are sometimes in short supply.
After thinking about it, I am not half so critical as I was about young missionaries who sometimes do not finish or barely start their missions before they throw the towell in and decide its not for them. Sometimes its quite understandable.
We have come in contact with enough of them that I both saddened and sobered by the amount of effort that is needed by them to persevere and succeed. Most of them do succeed and are succesful in completing their missions.
Both Shauna and I have had are ups and downs as we learn our duties. She has her desk about three feet behind my desk in the Mission office. We literally are closer all day in this mission than we have ever been in civilian life --most of the time its a plus as we can help each other, but sometimes it feels like we both need to get away from each other for a while.
We sure do miss our families -- This next month is going to be busy what with zone conferences, 20 new missionaries comming in, and lots of Xmas stuff -- so we hope to stay busy.
Love to all our friends and Family Elder Linde
I love hearing from you Dad. I hope you do it more often. It gives us a different perspective than Mom's. It sounds like you guys have had lot's of ups and downs. Randy told me that the Holiday's on your mission are the hardest. Couple that with still being new, learning stuff etc. I bet you guys will come home and be BORED STIFF. You will be so used to going and moving all the time, that you wont be able to sit still. Hang in there and keep up the good work. We are all cheering for you and proud of you. Plus, in the coming year you will probably have so many of us come visit that you will be wishing we all stayed home. Love you mom and dad!
ReplyDeletegood to hear your voice dad! It really is amazing that so many do finish. A mission really is so hard to explain unless you've actually been there and done it. It is definetly worth sticking out though I've known several that haven't and it's always a regretful thing they live with forever. One of those tough things that only make you stronger I believe! So glad you guys are getting the experience and I'm so thankful that you gifted me my experience. Without your financial and emotional support I wouldn't have all the great memories, hard experiences and eternal friendships I gathered on my mission! Love you 2 so much!! Thanks for your amazing examples in the Gospel, I truly don't know who'd I be without it!
ReplyDelete