Friday, November 20, 2009


A couple of the contrasts in our life. We are serving a mission but sometimes it doesn't feel like it. It kind of feels like we are just taking care of kids. And basically, we are. They start here at about 19 years of age and go up a couple of years, but there are some of them who look and behave like they are almost 16. So our mission is to really serve the kids so that they can do their work better and easier. Like this week I hand stitched a seam in someone's suit coat and put a patch on his pants that was completely worn through. Dad is counseling girls and guys on where to go to get their oil changed and what kind of oil to buy and why. His phone is usually quiet between 9pm and 8am, but the rest of the day it is ringing continually. Two phones. The one on his hip and the one on his desk. And if both of those are busy, they just call the office and ask for him. He has a hard time going to the bathroom in private. They have actually found him there before!

We bought some ant traps for the Elders who moved into the little home that we were in. Elder Ale came in one day and asked me how we controlled the ants in the bathroom. So I bought him some ant traps and he was so grateful. He reported that they are working too!

This is one of the contrasts. We go to Costco mostly to buy snacks and treats for the missionaries. They come in a lot and are always looking for something to munch on. So tonight we went to Costco and picked up licorice, tootsie rolls, nuts, fruit snacks and goldfish----and then Dad asked if I wanted a poinsettia. What a question! He has brought one home for me quite often on our anniversary, so I guess this is a little early, but it is beautiful! I love it.

Next to the poinsettia is my load of wash. Drying! There is a washer/dryer upstairs that was so expensive that everyone went to a laundromat down the street that just opened and did their wash for half the price. When the owner got 0 kickback one month and about half the next month, he asked why. They told him it was the price. So he told the guy who owns it and he pulled the price down to match the laundromat, but the dry cycle is not long enough to get much of anything dry. It is 24 minutes long. So I am boycotting and just bring my laundry down and hang it on my little clothes dryer. You know how I like to line dry anyway, so it is working out good. Except that I can only dry a load at a time, so there is usually a load of clothes drying in my room.






And this is Dad's 'on the side' job. A used car salesman! Yup, those are his four cars that he is wanting to sell. One is a Toyota Avalon that the president has driven for about two years. Never had a kid behind the wheel and it is beautiful. A Toyota Corolla, maybe two, and a Chevy Malibu. He has put new brakes on one and had them all detailed, so they are ready to drive off the mission office parking lot. Any takers?!


I just tried to get rid of some of the cement in front of the cars and I lost the pic. Anybody help! Well, enough for tonite. Tomorrow is Saturday and we have the weekend off.


See you later. Love from us.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure all the missionaries love you 2! I don't really remember our "car guy" on the mission. So I was asking Rob if the "car guy" was that big of a deal in his mission. He named his name and said "oh yeah". So 10+ years later Rob still remembers his "car guy". I unfortunately inherited my mothers memory (I'm guessing that's why I can't remember him)Plus our mission was so small I wonder if that effected it? Rob's was like yours almost like the whole State or something. We did sealings last night @ the Provo temple it was fun and our sealer was quite the talker. Thank you 2 for serving. My family feels the blessings!! I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I am jealous that these missionaries get to use you as parents sometimes. They are lucky and in good hands with you two around.

    ReplyDelete