Little brothers were anxious to hug big brothers.
And moms were crying and squeezing. One mom told me that as soon as they get home the waiting call for another son will be opened and off another will go.
OK I did invite you to our new little home this weekend, so WELCOME to our new digs. You saw the pic of the building in my last blog. This is the front of the building with Dad standing there. Our place is on the right, basement I guess you would say. But our window is just as big as everyone else's, so it doesn't feel like a basement at all. Just that we have to look up! And that is good. We should not be looking down. That outside door is always locked, which we love. You feel very secure in here. And what with all the police activity that we hear. The police dept. is about four blocks down the street and we are just off the main street and it is not uncommon to hear sirens two to three times a night. And lots of them. It just adds to the train whistles that we still hear very well.
And now Dad is in the building at the bottom of the stairs at our door.
OK. Open the door and to the right is the computer corner. That is where I am right now and I might say feeling pretty confident in what I am doing. I didn't have to call Adrian the other night as I posted all my pics accidentally without putting any words in. I figured it out for myself. Yipee! And yesterday we called Megan and she walked us through getting music on our blog. And it is working. Dad has even added songs on his own.
Just inside the front door and to the left is another door. It is actually a closet door, but much more than that. It contains drawing and pics from some sweet grandkids that have arrived since we got here. I hope you can recognize your pics. We love them and they remind us of you and we talk about all of you a lot.
This is a very handy closet. Not only coats and food storage, but extra bedding for your visits. Yes, and even a blow up air mattress. We are so thankful that we did not bring ours from home. Brooms and vacuum and clothes basket and yes, Linda, even quilt batting on the top shelf that was there when we came. That was something that I did not send to the bat cave. Have I told you about the bat cave? I haven't seen it yet, but it is where all the extra things are stored and then brought out when missionaries need them. You would not have believed what we sent to the bat cave. Loads of dishes, silverware, a mean, lean, fat cooking machine, or whatever they are, little rugs, more clothes baskets, ugly blankets used for bedspreads and the ugliest dust ruffle I have ever seen.
Now you are looking at the living room from the other side. See the computer in the corner! It is very comfortable and nice looking. I like it. The table sitting in front of the couch is one that we found down in our storage area in the next bulding. We don't use that area, but have a key to it. I was vacuuming the other day and pulled the coffee table out and the leg broke off. It had been broken before and was hanging by a thread. The couple upstairs are on a different kind of mission. They take care of the grounds at Far West and the mission home and office and during the winter they work on wood things, so we are going to see if they can put the leg back on. In the meantime, we have a slightly large table there. But it is sturdy.
This if our bathroom. It is small. Room for about one person. And the first time I showered, Dad flushed the toilet and scalded me. The shower is awful. I am going to buy a new showerhead. And there are three little mirrors that open like I like. Know what I mean? Those big mirrors in our bathroom are so great. I love them more all the time. But I have to lean over so and it kills my back, so I stand out in the hall where there is a mirror and put on my face. Notice our faithful hand towel? We brought it with us and hope to wear it out before we go home. We will not bring it home with us! We both just love the texture of it. It is so old and soft! Gosh, are we getting old or what! And on the floor, I crocheted a rug like the one we had at home. Dad really likes that so I made it on the way out here. Feels like home!
This is the bedroom on the left. It is the GUEST room, my dressing room, closet, sewing room, office, drying room, chaos room, craft room, I am thankful for it room! The couple upstairs have only one bedroom since the washroom juts into their apartment and I don't know how I would live with one bedroom. And the bedtop is my drop everything place. I try to clear it off daily but it doesn't happen all the time. You know me!
Oh, this pic is even better. It shows the sewing maching, top of the bed, and top of my dresser which acts as a bookcase, filing cabinet, loose change cans, pencils, pens, to do baskets, etc. It is great and so like me that it kind of makes me sick.
This is the bedroom on the right. It is where we sleep and Dad has his closet and dresser and top of the dresser that is his catch all place. Ugly white bed. I love white linen, but we need some color on top of the bed. I tried to find a ShopKo out here but haven't seen any. Been looking for a quilt top of color to put on top. And the dust ruffle I did send to the bat cave. It was red and brown stripes and I couldn't look at that every day. Yesterday I did make a black fleece curtain that is hanging behind the curtain on the window. On the outside of the building is a huge light and of coarse that is where our bedroom is. Dad has a hard time sleeping at night and with that bright window, it was nigh impossible. I looked at Hancocks and WalMart, but could notvfind room darkening fabric, so I bought a piece of black fleece for $6 and a spring loaded curtain rod and it works good. I don't like the dark room, but Dad is sleeping better.
I have just realized that I have no pics of our dining area or our kitchen. Come back tomorrow and you can have dinner with us. This is the west wall in our dining area. It is the WALL OF FAME. If you are anybody we know and love, you get your pic up there. So keep those pictures coming. These are mostly off the calendar that Janae made for us last year. Aren't they fun! But we do need more. There are some not represented. And I am going to call Erin in a few days with a list of things to send to us. Pics are among those things.
This is a pic of leaves that I collected at Adam-ondi-Ahman. I was calling Erin about how to preserve them when I decided to hang them up for awhile. I don't know how well they will preserve anyway. She suggested Mod Podge. So I will try that after we enjoy them.
That is the tour. It is 9pm and I have just taken two loaves of Rhodes white bread out of the oven. Took it out of the freezer at 1:30 just as we were leaving for church and it is just out of the oven.
Sorry the kitchen is not there. Come back tomorrow and you can come to our kitchen and dining area. Did you notice the bare walls in most of the rooms? I have been scouring Salvation Army every Saturday for something to put up. Not much luck yet. I did find a small piece of music for How Great Thou Art mounted on a board, but need something else to go with it. It is quite small. And we can always use pics of YOU. But they do say that you are supposed to sacrifice while on a mission, so we are doing without some of the things we love. I have started a new plant collection though. I just cannot seem to be without plants around me. I am trying to find a shamrock or prayer plant, you know what I mean, and hope I don't have to wait until March when they are in the Salt Lake stores at least. And Erin, if that one plant ever grows those little babies on the side of the leaves, I would love a leaf. The gal upstairs gave me a beautiful asparagus fern and had me cut it down to about 4 inches high. It was hard for me to cut it off. But I have about 3 new fronds coming out. I am excited. I love to watch plants grow.
Time for bed, good night and how we love you all.
ALL IS WELL
Loved seeing your place!! Can't wait for dinner pictures tomorrow night!! Love you guys!! So fun to see where you live!
ReplyDeletethanks for the tour! Glad to know dad is on the computer too, looking at our blogs and kinda posting to yours. Missing his voice too! Can't believe your missionary's! Hope all those missionaries out there know how lucky they are to have you two in their midst! I'm excited to see that guests can stay :) Glad it's feeling more homey in your little apartment I bet it's been weird to go from homeownership to apartment dwelling but kinda fun to right to realize how much we really don't need. Hmm I've got some fun ideas for christmas now, thanks! Love you two to death!
ReplyDeleteLove the tour. You are becoming so blog savvy. Cant wait to see the kitchen. I will send you a tutorial on sending pictures to Costco. It's fairly easy. Love you both.
ReplyDeleteGreat tour mom. I now have a good idea of what you guys have for living quarters. When eryn gets back we will round up some current pics.
ReplyDeleteMatt