We left with another senior couple in our building to go to Liberty which is about 1 miles away. There we met up with about 8 young Sisters and the Nelsons, who are in charge of the jail.
What you see is actually a re-creation of the Liberty Jail standing exactly where it was when it was in use. The walls were about four feet thick. First the huge timbers and then just rocks that were dumped in between the timbers and the stone walls on the outside.
This is a picture of one of the two windows in the dungeon. That is where the Prophet and 5 other men were for four months. It was the coldest winter on record and there was no heat, a cement floor with old straw scattered around, very low ceilings, some of the men could not even stand up straight. They huddled together for warmth. The two windows were very low, you have to stoop over to see in. Remember that the walls are four feet thick and these windows are also on the north and south sides of the building. That means probably no direct sunlight and very little light at all because the windows were so low and the walls were so thick. The opening is probably 8-10 inches high and 2 feet across or less.
Go to Doctrine and Covenants 121-123 to read the revelations given while the Prophet was in Liberty. Especially D&C 122:7 and the very last of that verse. And this was received on the 110 day of their 127 day confinement. It brings tears to my eyes each time I see it.
This is Dad and I sitting on the stones in front of the dungeon. Joseph is sitting at a small table with a candle on the left side. You can see the re-creations of other of the men on the right side.
This last picture is Elder and Sister Miner who were with us. Can you believe that while we were at the MTC I had the _____, guts I guess, to ask if we really had to call everyone Elder and Sister. It just seems kind of impersonal to me and I am having a hard time doing it all the time. It is easier because I don't really know anyones first name, so I am falling somewhat in line.
That was a nice post. Just keep doing it regularly now so you dont forget. Love hearing from you.
ReplyDeleteI loved calling members sister (hermana) and Brother (hermano) cause I had such a hard time remembering names, it definetly saved my relationship with many members!
ReplyDelete