This pic is just over the hill from the mission office where we spend our time. About a block away. It is the hill that had the home of Governor Boggs. The one who exterminated the Saints. Don't know why we wanted a pic of it, but Dad did. History I guess.
And then the plaque that shows in the sidewalk of the spot.
And then we walked toward town. The first thing we really notice is:
This is the corner of the first home of Governor Boggs. I also have a pic of Dad leaning against the existing building where the house once stood, but didn't think you needed to see that. History again!
This is just a block west of the last pic and right in front of Independence Hall. All of this area is where Harry Truman walked every day. His home is just a couple of blocks from here. Dad likes Harry Truman!
This store is on the other side of Independence Hall and was owned by a Mormon named Whitney. It was the scene of a lot of anti-mormon stuff. It is still occupied. Now by a sort of Spoons and Spice type store.
Now we are headed back to our place and these are some of my favority homes in the area. I really do have an old soul. I just love the old fashioned, old way of doing most everything.
And these old salt box type homes I absolutely love.
And this is an old mansion built by a judge and then a doctor bought it. They are doing some renovation on it. It is huge! Three stories high. I would love to wander around inside.
This is across the street from the mansion and with a little different color paint could be very charming. Do you think I should knock on the door and tell them!
Another of those salt boxes. Love it, love it!
And another that would be absolutely darling with a little fix up and paint.
Well, that is our Saturday morning walk. And it was beautiful. The weather for the last few days has been amazingly warm. All of these homes are on Historic Main Street. That sign is on a lot of sign posts along Main Street. Now mind you, there are a lot of small, run down, unattractive, fixer-uppers in amongst these favorites of mine, but I don't need pics of them. Hope you enjoyed our little walk with us.
Loves to all.
oh the history, rob would be right there with dad. and I'm right there with you mom love those style of homes!
ReplyDeletewhat a nice walk, and the homes are beautiful. Each one is unique, not like the houses people are building now. I'm glad the weather is nice so you can still walk outside. Yay!
ReplyDeleteReally like the house named Erin!! I will have to see it with my own eyes! love seeing the area that you are in!!! LOVES, ERIN
ReplyDelete