Sunday, November 29, 2009

I think that I hit a wall last week. I was in a depressed, unhappy, homesick, ugly mood. The whole week was not good. I was planning to call my Mom and Dad and I saw an ad on TV about a family walking along the shore of a lake or the ocean, the Grandpa suddenly does not know what is going on and the young boy goes and takes his hand and walks with him.......you have probably seen it. I just started bawling and thinking of my folks and how I longed to see them and I couldn't quit crying. Then I had a dream about Brett and Angi. It was crazy. And the same week another dream about Megan. I usually don't dream in the present, so if what they say about dreams is true, I must have you'all on my mind and missing you.

Thanksgiving day came and I said I would bring candied yams and hot rolls. I woke up suddenly and had been dreaming that it was 11:30 and I didn't have time to prepare my food for the dinner at 1pm. Well, it was actually 7:30, so I did jump up and begin. Then I forgot to put butter in my sauce for the yams. I added it at the end just before I put it on my yams, but then even forgot to add salt to the sauce so I had to shake it on after all was put together.

And my poor rolls. I don't know if it is an electric oven (which I do not like at all), the change in altitude or climate, my tiny cupboard to roll out my dough on, or just my age. I am beginning to think that I can't do anything right. The first dozen I rolled out, I scraped up and threw in the garbage. My dough was sticky and I couldn't get them off the counter. It was a joke. I finally added flour and got a tray to bake, but they were not very good.

This was our Thanksgiving group at President and Sister Van Komen's home. It was a nice dinner with everyone bringing food. The Van Komen's got the turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy and dressing from a local store and I wish you could have seen the dressing. I even offered to bring dressing. (I should have insisted!) It was like a liquid vegetable. It was awful. I did take one small spoonful and had a hard time eating it. And no cranberry sauce! Thankfully someone had made that salad with ground up cranberries in it.



After dinner the Christmas decorations were brought up from the basement and we began our decorating. Lots of decorations and where to put them. It was fun. All of the men put the tree together and put the lights on and then we women did the bulbs and bows. Someone sitting back a ways and telling you where you needed a ribbon or a larger bulb. It was interesting.



That is President right next to Dad.

And this is some of the sisters who were still there at the end. I, of coarse, could not get down on my knees and all the other women are trying to get on the back row so they cannot be seen. So I ended up sticking out front and center and you know how that is not my thing. Sister Van Komen is sitting on the floor on the right.



A different Thanksgiving with all "old folks". When we arrived it was so quiet and I did say that we needed some kids around. I am not used to quiet Thanksgiving day dinners.

2 comments:

  1. We did'nt have any old people at our thanksgiving and it also seemed a little wierd. I almost called you this weekend because you didnt blog all week long, I was worried. Que adrians laugh. Thanksgiving without cranberry sauce is against the rules!!
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you had a bad week. It's way easier for us here at home cause life is basically as usual where you guys are "in the wild" so to speak. Sorry your food didn't turn out funny how everyone has different foods they eat at T-day.

    ReplyDelete