Monday, March 15, 2010

No pictures, no frills, just a few notes about what is going on in my life. I maybe should write this in my personal journal so that no one can read it, but what the heck. Anyway, my back is as bad as it has ever been. It is killing me! Last week I called Michelle Kruger in SLC to see if she knew anyone around here who could do Spinal Touch. No, she did not. As I told her my problem, and she has worked on my back a lot, she said, you need myofascial release. OK, whatever that is. She found two names of people who do that who are about 25 miles away. So I called one and got an appointment and went to see her on Thursday. We were talking most of the time that she worked on me. She told me that I was very tight in a couple of areas which is what every therapist that has worked on me has said. Nothing new. She also mentioned how well I responded (meaning I relaxed and she could feel it, or I pinked up in areas)to some of the things that she was doing. She also thought that I knew my body pretty well just by the things I told her. Well, the session ended and I felt pretty good when I got off the table and was able to actually bend over without pain to put those nasty panty hose back on. (And the worst thing about panty hose is going to the bathroom with them on. Pull up your skirt and your slip, pull down the panty hose and the underwear, then do the process in reverse to put yourself together again.) Well, she swiped my credit card for $75 and I gulped and signed my name. Got in the car and we stopped shortly to get a sandwich. Same old pain as I got out of the car. It is paralyzing. I cannot put my foot forward without a shooting pain in my back side and down my right leg. Back to the office and everyone wants to know if I am cured. NO!

So Friday night I do heat and ice packs, drink, drink, drink. Go to bed and get up Saturday and go to grocery store. Come home and lay on couch and take a nap with heating pad on. Saturday night is bad. I changed the clocks and so went to bed at 11:06 and at 12:08 had not closed my eyes. (very unusual for me.)I could not find a comfortable way to lay. Everything hurt. So I got out of bed and came to the couch, put ice on my back and read for an hour. Then I looked at my cell phone and it was an hour earlier so it said 1:57, which it really was but I had already jumped ahead, so I said to myself I want to see how cell phones magically know the time, even when you drive through a time zone. So for a minute I thought I would be able to see the magic happen. Well, I finally realized it was not going to happen for an hour and that is the last I remember. Got up Sunday and got ready for church and did that. Got up on Monday, and every day that I wake up I really think that it is not going to hurt anymore. You know the theory about going back through your pain before it can be better, and the therapist told me to take an epsom salts bath, which I did, and so of coarse, I would be better soon. Not so for me.

Monday I had to call and report how I felt. First I called the other therapist and after talking to her, made an appointment to see her on Wednesday. Then I had to call Jan Kelly and tell her how I was feeling. I was going to tell her that I was going to try the other therapist because she even suggested that sometimes it is good to have a couple of people work on you. And the two of them have worked together in the same office for awhile. She asked me how I felt and once again said she thought I knew my body well and then said that sometimes our emotions get all mixed up with our bodies and how they affect each other. Another thing she said earlier was that she thought I was able to let things go and not let things bother me. I told her I felt that that was right. Well, the old body, mind, spirit connection (I think that is what it is)that I remember learning from Jim Foster. Said she was going to pull out a couple of things for me to read. And she just mentioned dreams. I said, WOW, I dream a lot and have a lot of bad dreams. Nightmares, that make me wake up crying. She really got onto that and said she would get some things for me to read. So I told her that one of the problems with coming in was finances. I had told her we were on a mission at the first session. She said well, I have worked with some people and she could give me two treatments for $40 each. I said, sign me up. So I am going to see her Tuesday at 1:30. I am excited and especially about the thought that my emotions are tied up in this. I really feel that I don't hang onto things or let things bother me, but maybe they are coming out in my dreams.

Then after dinner tonight I picked up a Mormon Times and started reading Michael McLeans column. If you don't get the Mormon Times and read it every week, you really should. There is so much good and very interesting information in that little publication that it would make it worth it to take the Deseret News. I am lucky to be out of SLC and can get it and the Church News every week for $30 a year. OK, Michael McLean was talking about his new book M 2 B (smiley face). Mission to be happy. Get on www.missiontobehappy.com. It goes back to the first of January and it is great. I have only read a few entries and know that it is going to be good for me. Read January 14 for sure. But his whole idea is this: WE TEND TO SEEK HAPPINESS, WHEN HAPPINESS IS ACTUALLY A CHOICE.

I have really rambled and don't know if I will publish this or not. Must reread it.
OK, I have reread it and I will publish. But not before I tell you this. I have been praying about this and learning that the Lord always wants to help us. I am serving him on this mission and I don't want to be in pain. I feel that the therapist talking to me about dreams and then me picking up Michael McLean and reading that is an answer to my prayers. There was also a story about what feeling the spirit feels like. Yes, He is interested in our lives and wants to help us. We just need to ask and then take the first step. I am beginning.

Humbly yours.

3 comments:

  1. faith is an amazing tool mom. I think our father and his son have mastered this tool. I think they say I want to move that mountain and because they know and believe they can do it they can . . . I think the mission helps you tap into that more then ever, we are powerful beyond belief and maybe on the mission you are living as close to perfect a life as you can get - believe it and it will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to take away from the spiritual stuff...cuz I believe what you say...but I
    kept thinking as I was reading this post that you need to stop wearing nylons. Surely, for medical reasons you can wear knee highs. I think the nylons around your waist are pinching some nerves, or something in your back and it is transferring down your legs. Seriously. Even if they are not tight, just having them at your waist all the time could be contributing to the problem. Call me delusional...but maybe I'm on to something. I am feeling very inspired to instruct you to ditch the pantyhose!!!! ;) Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to get a different perspective from others (ex. therapist). There is a book that I have wanted for a while: Healing Night
    The Science and Spirit of Sleeping, Dreaming, and Awakening by Rubin R. Naiman, PhD. It may have some good ideas for you about having good dreams :) Good luck on your journey.
    Eryn

    ReplyDelete