I guess it is just the fact that we work at least from 8 to 5 every day and I sometimes spend another couple of hours and then usually anywhere from 2-4 hours on Saturday. A week ago it was 6 1/2 hours on Saturday. I like to go over and get the mail out and then just start doing my other duties. By the time we get home at night, find something to eat, do an errand or two, go VTing, we just want to put our feet up and relax a little, fall asleep in a chair, watch SURVIVOR, and then trudge off to bed. It is quite a life!
Over Labor Day, we have what is called SantaCaliGon Days. That means Santa Fe Trail, California Trail, and Oregon Trail. Years ago they did historical things in remembrance of people taking off from here to head West. (They don't mention the Mormon Trail though) But now it is a huge carnival, craft fair, deep fried food fest!
The street that we go to work on was shut down for about 5 days. The downtown streets are all full or tents and food wagons and ferris wheels. Sister Bouy and I walked downtown on Friday when it started and enjoyed walking around and thru tents. You could probably buy just about anything you can think of that is at a craft fair only about 5 times as much as usual.
On Saturday, Dad and I went over and wandered for a bit and there were lines 20 people long to even get into the tents. Then it was just a mass of body movement pressed together. We didn't stay too long. Dad had to buy a funnel cake though. Didn't know what it was. Deep fried cake batter with a big blob of strawberries on top of it. We tasted about 1/4 to 1/3 of it and then found the nearest trash barrel. It brings thousands of people here and I was told is the biggest craft fair in the country. We would have liked a little more history and a little less crafts.
On Monday, Sister Bouy and I went to the Community Center to see the quilt display. I already know what I am going to do when I get home. Take a class in quilt making. I love them.
This quilt was all embroidered and then quilted. It was stunning. I could do that. I love to embroider and then quilt it.
This was a darling pieced and quilted jacket. Must make one of these.
This was very interesting. Looked like yo-yo's, only square, and then had a different old fashioned button in the center of each square.
This is just beautiful.
These are the Gunnell's. They left on Tuesday after Labor Day. We had a Senior Conference on Monday night and the President had asked them about the highlight of their mission. You won't believe this. It was coming to our study group at 8am each morning. Not that that is bad, but their job was not to be envied. They went around to 28 chapels in Independence and surrounding areas and took care of physical problems. Glued carpet down, hung cleaned drapes, switched out tile in bathrooms, etc. They put 17, 500 miles on their car (did get compensation for using their own car). They were happy to be going home. They live in Draper, so we are anxious to see them when we get home. Good people fulfilling their assignment.
We had a funeral that we took six of the sisters to last week. We were waiting for a couple of them when they found a butterfly in Sister Love's hair, and got it on their hand. Oh these sweet sisters are great.
wow, those quilts are amazing. Such a lot of work goes into making them!
ReplyDeleteeryn
Neat quilts Mom. Just finished a book where they quilted a lot, "Prayers for Sale", good story.
ReplyDelete