Sunday, May 2, 2010

My goodness. This is my third try at posting these pics. I actually started last Thursday evening and then again on Friday evening and I could not make it work. I got them to this position and did something wrong I guess and could not continue or figure out what to do. Computers continue to be a mystery, so here I go.

Last Saturday, four senior couples drove to Lexington. This was the site of one of the Civil War battles. I believe it was called the Battle at Blue Run. The Battle lasted for three days. Sept. 18-19-20, 1861. This is the courthouse in town and it took a cannon ball up high. Gosh, when you hear this history it gives you goose bumps to think that it really happened here in our country. We have grown up hearing about war in other countries, but this civil war was right here among our own countrymen.

This is a home in Lexington, where a lot of the action took place. I really should have Dad write about these things because he remembers and knows the history. These are actually holes where cannon balls hit the back of the house. This home was built four bricks thick.


Inside one of the bedrooms, I lifted up the feather bed or whatever it was and there is the rope that served as the support, can't remember what it is called. That is a mat on the floor and the chamber pot on the left side. Oh, life was different then.


And I bet no one can guess what this is!! The latest wreath made for the house out of hair. Yes, you got it. Human hair. It was quite beautiful and intricate. Different colors of hair depending on whose head it came from and different techniques used to make it look like a flower or a leaf or stem. There were more hair wreaths hanging in the house.

Get a look at this bed. It was quite beautiful. First thing I thought of was what if that thing fell over on you. It would be the end. The headboard is 10 feet tall. The ceilings were about 15 feet high. The lady's hoop skirt on the end of the bed and her corset lying on the bed. Be grateful girls, that you can get up in the morning and put your pants on!

Blossoms on the pink dogwood tree outside our office. All the flowering trees and bushes around here are beautiful. And I just keep taking pics of trees and flowers that I see. Have a whole file of them! I just enjoy flowers so much.

This was last Thursday. It was transfer day. Some unhappy missionaries around and some excited ones. This is Elder Benson. He found a banjo somewhere and was going to play at a fireside that night. He is the youngest child in his family and his parents went on a mission the same time he did. They are in California serving in the office of one of the missions. He is comparing notes with them all the time about what goes on here and what goes on there!

Elder Nam. The missionary from Korea who was sent here to speak Spanish and he also speaks English (not real well) and some other language. Amazing kid. Maybe I have told you that he came into the office one time and handed me a piece of paper and on it was his parents names and address. He asked me to send the referral for him. It was quite an experience for me because he had told me that his parents didn't really know or understand what he was doing here. I put all the info in and hit SAVE and that referral found its way to Korea! This week when he came in he told me that his parents had had the missionaries to dinner. He was very excited and happy and feels like they will have the missionaries again.
He picked up that big sucker and was like a little kid with it. Someone had left two of them in the office and he loved getting one of them.
This is Elder Swayt and Marston. They both left for home on Friday. Elder Swayt lives in Sandy and Elder Marston in Middleton, Idaho. Elder Marston has been very sick and Pres. wanted him to go home for surgery, but he said no. He has gall bladder problems, more than just gall stones. He said no, he did not want to go home. He said he would be OK, that he wanted to finish his mission. His faith is amazing. And he is one who has been "exactly obedient". He lost his wallet a couple of weeks ago and was in the office and was asked if he could have left it at the apartment. He didn't know because he said he didn't have permission to call there to have his companion look for it. I mean he would not have thought of doing anything like that without permission. So he had Sister Williams call his companion to check it out. Some of our missionaries are so obedient.


This is Sister Lasalosi and Howe, from Tonga and Ephraim, Utah. They have both been sent out to the field. They have been in our ward and we take them to church with us, so it is hard to see them leave. We have loved them. Wonderful girls.


Elder Hedger and Glenn. These are the AP's. Assistants to the President. They are also in our ward and in and out of the office quite a lot. Two great guys. It is amazing the responsibilities they have and how great they are in their jobs. Some lucky girls out there I tell you.

This is Dad on a missionaries bike, riding it down to the bat cave, to put it in storage for him.


And now we have a pic of my shamrock plant in the tea pot that I got at the Christmas party for a white elephant gift. I love it. It says Czechoslovakia on the bottom of it. And have you ever seen a shamrock with more flowers on it! Pretty good huh. I put styrofoam peanuts in the bottom of it and then dirt and I water it and pour out the excess water. Pretty smart I think.

And finally dinner a few nights ago. First time I have had bread and milk. I actually bought some apricot jam (my favorite) at the Amish grocery store and then added a little cheese and green onion and oh, it was so yummy.

That's all folks! (I did have to call Adrian tonight to see why I kept messing up. Don't really know what is happening, but she got me fixed right. This is the fourth try and writing about these pics! More later.
Loves and hugs and how we miss you.













1 comment:

  1. Human hair embroidery...I'm speechless. Talk about recycling.

    ReplyDelete