Sunday, January 17, 2010

Just had to tell you about our Zone Conference that just ended. When we got home on Friday, Dad said, "That is the best one we have been to." Gosh, they just keep getting better all the time. We heard a talk from a stake president that was off the charts. He is an institute teacher somewhere in Wichita and his talk was amazing.
It is so exciting when these missionaries come together. They are so excited to see one another. We usually have 5 different conferences on five days, but once again we had two cancellations because of the freezing weather, and so two of the groups were double in size, which I think the missionaries love because it brings more together at the same place and they get to see more of the kids they may have worked with.

A while ago I decided to make a missionary quilt and have a square for each missionary. So I went and bought some muslin and cut my squares out and got some painters tape and put the square onto a clip board and actually had a couple of missionaries sign them. Well, I got two signed and it was a lot of stress for me. I was lying in bed one night not able to sleep because I could not figure out what to do to remember these kids. It came to me. Just take a picture of each one and put it on a scrapbook page and write comments and interactions that we have had with them. Duh! How hard is that. I woke up so excited and discovered that it would be easy for me and all they have to do is smile! After all, they really don't want to sign an autograph quilt for some old people.

So here are some of my first pics. And Dad and I have different contacts with the kids, so we will both write things that happen to help us remember them. After all there are 184 young missionaries here. It is over 200 with all the seniors.

This is Sister Balois who is from New Jersey. We met her right at the beginning and she and her companion persuaded us to go to the ward that they were in. After all, they didn't have any seniors in their ward. So we went. She was transferred out at the last transfer and you have never seen a sadder face. She was nearly in tears. She said goodbye to us and got on the bus without even a smile. She is a very intense missionary and loves the work and it was so good to see her at ZC because she was smiling again. Her new companion is Sister Piris who is from Argentina. We don't know her well because she has been what they call 'full pros'. She is out in the field and not at the VC (Visitor's Center) where we get to know the Sisters. Both of these Sisters are going home in February and they came up to me on Friday and reluctantly asked a favor. Would we take them to Church's Chicken when they come in to go home on the 5th. We have never been to Church's Chicken. It is a fast food place and they love it. I said of coarse we will take you there. They were so excited. It doesn't take a lot to make a missionary happy!

This is Sister Bradley. She has been full pros too, but Dad knows her better over the phone because she had an accident. He talks to the kids several times when they are in an accident. She was sitting across the table from us at lunch and at the side of her bowl is a pile of tomatoes! Yes, she picked out every piece of tomato in her Taco Soup that she could find. We were laughing at her because it tasted so good to us. It was just like what we have at Christmas, but there was corn in it. Yummy! I also got another pic of her with a pleasant smile on her face.


This is Elder Zipf. I talked to him on the phone the other day and he told me his story. Said he would come and introduce himself at ZC and he did. Anyway this is why. A while ago I got a call from Linda and she asked me if was OK for a mother in Logan or Garden City, (I don't really know where,) to read this blog. Turns out her son was in this mission and it sounds like he was like a lot of missionaries and didn't write those detailed letters home. I have heard that Mom learned quite a bit about the mission from reading the Linde Line. And welcome to you, Sister Zipf. Glad to have you aboard. If I can make any mom feel better about her son on a mission, I am up for that. These kids do end up feeling like your own. You just love them immediately and you want to take care of them.

This is Elder Clayton. He is from Provo. He is very tall and so friendly and has an English accent. It is just fun to hear him talk. He is very friendly and sort of like a big teddy bear. We love him.


This is Elder Patterson. He has been a member of the Church for 5 years. We don't know him except.........


that he is a companion to Elder Cuello. Two excited missionaries. Elder Cuello received his mission call on the first anniversary of his baptism into the Church. No one in his family is in the Church. The Prez said that together, these two have 6 years experience in the Gospel. Oh, there are dedicated missionaries out here.



Just a few of the great kids that we are able to work with. It is quite an experience. Just the fact that they get up each day and put on white shirts and ties and suits and pantyhose and skirts and jackets is amazing to me. Then they begin their day with study and prayer and some breakfast and have appointments (20 a week) and they get together on Monday morning and play volleyball at the stake center or go for a run or something. I am still in awe.




1 comment:

  1. so fun that you get to have a VC close by. We were called full field, when we didn't work in the VC. So much like my experience! SO glad you are there. I really need to visit BEtty W. She sent me a christmas card! She's adorable!

    ReplyDelete