Friday, 2 October 2009 was in Sidney, Nebraska. It was a crazy night because there was some big Republican women's convention going on and so we had to stay in a hotel downtown. It was called the Plain's Hotel and we had to park on the street and go into this old 1920's hotel that had squeaky floors and a tiny elevator and old bathroom fixtures and police sirens three times during the night and red lights flashing in our room. We prayed for our car to be protected that night I tell you. We actually woke up about 5:30 and were on our way a little after six in the morning. It was still dark but we kind of wanted to get out of town. We drove all day on Saturday and got to Lincoln, Nebraska about 4:30. We rested for a few minutes and then Dad got ready to go to Priesthood meeting. We had found a stake center that was on the same street as the Best Western we were staying in. Dad took off about 5:30 and drove and drove. It was over 10 miles away and when he got there found that he was an hour early. We are one hour ahead of SLC when it comes to time, so he went and got something to eat and then to the meeting.
Sunday morning we didn't have to be to the stake center until 11am. We were so surprised that the chapel was not full of people. Maybe people get conference on cable these days. Just a few people and some missionaries. We talked with them. We are not wearing our tags while on our way to the mission. They told us not to. If you fly, you wear your name tag. If you drive, you do not. So we are incognito.
Conference was wonderful as usual. I guess Elder Hollands testimony was my favorite. What a testimony to hear as we enter the mission field. I kept trying to take notes and just couldn't keep up so I would write down the name of who was talking and out to the side READ THIS. Meaning read this next month in the Ensign. Just too much to take notes about. Oh, the church is wonderful and brings such happiness to our lives.
We stayed two nights in Lincoln. It is quite a beautiful city. I think I could even live there. I really enjoyed the 10 mile drive to the church.
But we left Monday morning and headed for Hamburg, Iowa. That is where Dad's great, great grandfather had live in the early times of the church. We went to the library and saw some several pages of information about the Wilcox line, but nothing that Dad did not already know. So then it was driving through the corn fields for the rest of the day. It is amazing how much corn is grown here. Everywhere you look it is corn fields. But it is beautiful country. Rolling hills, up and down, up and down, green fields, corn fields, quite a few trees around. Tried to find Far West and Adam-ondi-Ahman, but no luck. Finally we are at a Best Western in Cameron, Missouri.
We will drive to our mission in probably about an hour in the morning. They wanted us to arrive on Tuesday since today some would not be there. So I think that I have successfully published some blogs tonight and am up to date. I will let you know when we arrive tomorrow and then try and keep up to date. I also have a few pictures that I want to insert here and there. That will be my next lesson.
We are doing well. It is nice to know who your companion is and I am glad that mine is Dad, but 24/7 is kind of a constant companion, if you know what I mean!
ALL IS WELL.
Glad to hear it all. It will get easier, I promise. You think having your spouse is tough 24/7...try two three year olds!! Kidding of course...they are four, not three!!
ReplyDeleteLove you both. Tell Dad he has to occasionally post on this thing too.
yeah, it was so good talking to you mom on Sunday while the hubby's were away. Isn't it a great feeling to know that your husband is sitting being taught by Men of God?! I'm sure today will be full of all kinds of firsts!! Hope we get to see that part of the country soon, the corn fields sound amazing! I took some pics of the living room to show, I just need to post them on my blog. I'm still feeling great, Maggie's about 13 inches now and 1 pound I'm really starting to show! Can't wait to hold her sweet little body! Love you two . . . the work is going forth and you are right in the middle of it!!! all of God's angels are cheering you on, not to mention your grandkiddies!
ReplyDelete