We picked up two Elders on Tuesday, at 8 am and headed to Wichita. It is interesting to be alone in the car for 3 1/2 hours with just two Elders. Some of them talk and of coarse, I start asking all sorts of questions. I just like to know what is going on and how they are feeling. We had a very enjoyable ride with Elder Livingston and Elder Poulson. Elder Livingston is the kind of Elder who just accepts things as they are and does what he is asked to do. He does not ask why about anything. In the mission, we call this, strict obedience. He is very good at it. And Elder Poulson is the same way. I asked he what he said to the Pres. when he called and asked him to be the one to go into this situation. The Pres. had told us he said he would do whatever the Pres. asked him to do. We have some wonderful Elders and Sisters here.
We dropped Elder Poulson off and picked up Elder Roberts. We went to lunch and then headed back. Missionaries really don't say bad things about their companions, and Elder Roberts told us he had really prepared himself for a lot of situations, but having a companion so opposite of himself he didn't think about. He is a very sweet Elder. But our trip took the whole day. Got back about 4:30 and Dad was tired. He used to drive all day and love it. Now it tires him some.
Got to the office on Wednesday and heard that an Elder was being sent home. It is kind of a heart breaker. The AP's were bringing him up to the airport and he would be gone at noon. His problem was in not wanting to work. Just lazy and then became disrespectful. You just hope that he can get a good look at himself and begin to make good things happen in his life. It is so sad when it happens, but his behavior was affecting his companion, his ward, and the whole mission. You have to want to go on a mission for the right reasons or it often does not work out.
I have been doing the mail since Sister Miller left and it is fun to do. The only problem was that since Christmas we have not been able to forward it to our missionaries. We just put it in their area box and when someone was going there, we would send it out. I had wanted to go to another Post Office and talk to someone about out predicament. Elder Williams was in charge of the office and he was the one who tried to talk to the PO downtown. He didn't ever get any good results, so we just quit forwarding the mail. Well, I felt that I would be overstepping my bounds if I went and talked to someone, so I waited until they left and then I went to another PO and just walked up to the counter and asked if we could forward and he said, of coarse you can. I kept talking because I was surprised that it was so easy. But no, it is their job to get it there. So we are now forwarding mail to our missionaries. Some have called me because they received a letter and were so surprised. So it is all good. I am happy that it is now happening.
Friday Dad was out of the office all day. The President asked him a couple of weeks ago to go to a Youth Conference and talk to young people about preparing for a mission. So that is what he did. He had three of our missionaries join him and answer questions of the youth and said it was a good day. Taught the class three times and had lunch there. He thought he was back in school!
Saturday is always a welcome day as we can do what we want. Dad went golfing with Elder Stutz in the morning and I went with Sister Stutz to the Bingham-Wagoner mansion to a craft fair. It was mostly just antique stuff that every sells all around town, but we had fun wandering around looking at things.
Back to the office tomorrow and no idea what to expect. Always something different.
Makes me think of my mission and I was one of those missionaries that had strict obedience, believe it or not, just wondering how I could get back to that now-now I seem to always be trying to find away around things or following the big stuff is easy but the smaller things ahh sometimes are too easy to justify. The mission field is a wonderful place where you can really be your best without all the worldly distractions etc. Can't wait for Rob and I to serve our mission one day!!
ReplyDeleteGood job Mom with the mail. Way to get things done!
ReplyDeleteI'm so impressed with all you do. What will they do when you come home!?
ReplyDelete