Saturday, July 17, 2010

Have not had my camera out all week. After seeing so many of your cute pics, I have tried to think how I could be a little more creative in my picture taking, but have not had any ideas. I do wish I could take a pic of the heat though.

Last Wednesday we walked out of our apartment just before 6am and thought we had stepped into a steam bath. We walked for 45 minutes and came back dripping wet. I checked the temp on the computer and it was 80 degrees and 90% humidityat 6am. You desert rats cannot imagine how that feels! You cannot even imagine! You have to be in it to know. Your skin always feels damp and the sweat (perspiration!) is dripping off your head and down your back and your arms stick together when you bend them. It is like you are dripping wet and then you open the oven door and step in. You could actually almost take a warm shower just by walking out the door. We drive about a mile to work in the A/C car and when I step out of the car, my glasses are all steamed up! Go figure. Wednesday was the worst day, but all week has been nearly unbearable. They even advised people to stay inside if you did not have to be out in it.

Today I was going to take a couple of friends and drive to Leavenworth where there is a shop that just has Polish pottery and then a quilt shop next door. What more could you ask for! I saw their ad in the paper and wanted to go, but then decided I just wanted to stay at home. Dad left at 6:25 to play golf and I got busy and cleaned and watered plants and all that fun stuff. I just love staying home! Even when my home is a little apartment. It is just comfortable and cozy.

I guess we are resting up for a busy week. We have missionaries arriving this Wednesday. It is always a big day. And we are anticipating the arrival of Brian Wilder. He is in our ward, the Winder 10th, and we have watched him grow up. Known him since he was a toddler. It will be exciting to see him. And his Mom has given me permission to give him hugs! I don't know if that will work or not. And then transfers on Thursday. That is probably the biggest day of all. We have had kids ask us where they are going on Thursday. The anticipation of it all is quite amazing. Some kids are ready for a transfer and some don't want a transfer. But even though we are in the office and the transfer board is in the President's office, we don't know about it until a few hours before the kids get word of it. The transfer board is locked up!

Elder Thomas came over to look in Dad's file about someone being able to drive and just casually said there was a crisis about ready to happen. We have become accustomed to crisis and trauma and ET's but I still don't like hearing that. But then he smiled and pointed to the candy jar on my desk and said it was nearly empty! Yes, they are basically teens who love a little candy now and then. I told him we were headed to Costco that night. Oh, these young ones are great! Next time one of them goes home in your area, I am going to tell you about it and maybe you can go listen to one of our great missionaries speak in church.

We absolutely love looking at your blogs and seeing pics of everyone. I look at them over and over. It is almost like being there! Thank you for your pictures. Love and hugs coming your way.

2 comments:

  1. The heat sounds bad. I like heat, but only the dry kind. I'll try to keep things updated with the blog. Sure miss you guys. Love ya, Meg
    Hadley says:
    I love you, watermelon and blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heat, schmeat. We send our love to you in the form of heat. So I guess we really love you two, huh? Thanks for all you are doing for others and your posterity! And like Hadley said, "watermelon and blocks". Think about it.
    Tony

    ReplyDelete