Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sunday and it is cold outside. Just home from church and the Bouys drove up the same time we did. Unusual. They cancelled their church after Sacrament meeting and sent everyone home.

There is ice on Sea Ave. this morning. Can you see the little icicles hanging on the sign?


I did something wrong and my pics did not come up right. Darn, and I try so hard. Anyway, this is Elder Neilson and Elder Cox signing. Elder Neilson grew up with a deaf brother and sister and so has been signing all his life and it looks so beautiful. I love to watch him. I think I want to get into signing when I get home. It is now on my 'bucket list'. If you don't know, that is what I wanted to do in college, but didn't go long enough to get into it. And then I always thought that I was going to have a deaf child. Didn't happen. Wait a minute, I suppose my children had selective deafness and signing to them would not have worked either!

This is a pic of some turkeys right across the street from the President's home. We came out of there the other day and there they were. The home is is a very nice area. Actually in Kansas City and right close to the church we go to. But right across from the home is a huge open area with a lovely home at the bottom of this hill.

And you know, when I left I told Erin that she didn't need to take care of my plants if she didn't want to. But really now, can you imagine Erin neglecting my plants! But I can't get away from them. I just love plants and as I have done all my life, the first place I walk through at the grocery store is the plant and flower section. So this is my selection now. The one on the far right was here when we came, but I have cleaned it up a bit and it is doing better. And the asparagus fern is one that I cut completely back to where there were four inch sticks poking up. It is coming back pretty good. Crazy isn't it! Kind of hard to get away from what we are.

And since we have been here, we have been trying to find a good bakery close by. You know the kind where you can pick up some good bread to have with your soup. Haven't found any yet. I have tried three times to do Adrian's bread that you leave the dough in the frig. It just won't work unless I do half a batch and bake it on the weekends. Getting home from the office at 5:15 and being hungry does not give me enough time to get it ready.
So we heard of a bakery in Lawrence. We stopped there on Wednesday on the way home from zone conference. Sure enough it was what we were looking for. They have a huge round brick oven that is on the corner of the building and sticks out outside. And get this. We saw someone unloading wood out of the back of a truck. Yes, they cook with a wood fire. Amazing! So we had some lunch and bought a little bread to bring home. This was my favorite, looking at least. It is supposed to look like a stalk of wheat. Pretty good, huh!


I really didn't like it this much. There were other good breads.

It started snowing yesterday afternoon and was quite beautiful. Then it turned to rain in the night and this is a car window. Sister Miller chose to stay inside today and that was good.

All the trees are covered with little icicles. It looks very beautiful.


Icicles hanging everywhere.

As we got home, I started picking ice off the car. Because it had warmed up a bit inside, you could just pick it off the car. A piece on top of the car.

We had a great Sacrament meeting today. Two really good talks and a musical number that was amazing. I am going to try and recreate it for you. The person singing went up to the microphone and just stood there and looked out, sort of composing herself I guess. She was trying to still her soul. I mean it was several seconds before she began to sing. No piano, no organ, no guitar. She just sang. The song was Be Still, My Soul. Read it very slow and just think of a very lovely and quiet voice singing it. It was like she was giving a talk and she would pause a lot and then continue.
I just typed the words in and then tried to have the music in my head as I read the words. Just read it slowly and I bet you will never hear this song the same again.
Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side; With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain. Leave to thy God to order and provide; In ev'ry change he faithful will remain. Be still, my soul: Thy best, thy heav'nly Friend Thru thorn-y ways leads to a joy - ful end.
Be still, my soul: Thy God doth un - der - take To guide the fu - ture as he has the past.
Thy hope, thy con - fi - dence let noth - ing shake; All now mys - te- rious shall be bright at last. Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know His voice who ruled them while he dwelt be - low.
Be still, my soul: The hour is has - t'ning on When we shall be for - ev - er with the Lord, When dis - ap - point - ment, grief, and fear are gone, Sorrow
for - got, love's pur - est joys re - stored. Be still, my soul: When change and tears are past, All safe and bless - ed we shall meet at last.


Well, it goes without saying that when she finished I had a tissue in my hand and was dabbing my eyes a lot. I know I can't give it to you like I received it, but it was one of those moments for me.
Hugs to all and we love you everyday.

2 comments:

  1. mom you're going to love that you have this online diary. So much easier typing then writing it down in an actual journal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks COLD there. I am feeling optimistic that our winter is almost over. It's been fairly warm with no snow for a long time now. We have bought all our garden seeds and are thinking about starting some soon. We have to really UP our tomatoe crop this year as we wont have Dad to fall back on. Love you guys

    ReplyDelete